The Arboretum at Seattle Community College

The Arboretum celebrates the Coenosium Rock Garden which has been designated as a Garden for Peace. One of the many gardens all over the world, selected for its special qualities.
We are so proud to have this garden as part of our Arboretum. Come and see it soon.

Coenosium Garden, A Garden for Peace

Coenosium Garden, A Garden for Peace
West Path of the Coenosium Rock Garden a Garden For Peace

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Sunday Volunteer

From the South Seattle Community College Arboretum Programs Coordinator

A few Sundays ago, I  was visiting the Arboretum with a friend. It was a gorgeous afternoon. I began the tour on my usual path from the Entry Garden to Sensory Garden. As we made our way through to the Helen Sutton Rose Garden I  saw a lady seated in the Arbor and a fellow with her.  This fellow was busy, vigorously pulling on down our Wisteria Vine!
Surprised and a bit alarmed, I walked over and quietly introduced myself, explaining to him my role in The Arboretum at South Seattle College and then asked him what he was up to.


 He was very happy to complain to me that he was rather upset about the state of the vine.
"Oh my Yes" I agreed with him. It was wild and the laterals were running everywhere. Cats Turnbull of Plant Amnesty Cass Turnbull jokes, "Wisteria is Latin for work"


I told  him that the vine was on our  'to do' list, explaining that we were temporarily short handed.  We relieved on students, interns and volunteers for the Arboretum gardens. Fine pruning was usually saved for students.

As I said, it was a beautiful day. And as folks love to do,we began 'visiting'. Chatting in general about the vine, the arboretum and other things. I soon discovered that we had friends in common. I knew the pastor at their church in West Seattle. And  they knew of Helen Sutton and were acquainted with Margaret (Peggy) Culler! These two women, who have now passed on, were instrumental in the development of the Arboretum and Botanical Garden we know today.

Don't folks love to make connections? Whose yo' daddy and all that. When I asked if they knew "Peggy",  his wife  replied " is that Margaret you are talking about"? Why yes! Peggy was a long time supporter of the Arboretum and South Seattle Community College. establishing rapport, making connections. Now, my new friends (vandalizing the garden) and I were  having a very nice visit together.

Suddenly my light bulb came on! Yes, dear readers that does happen! It occurred to me to ask if they would like to volunteer and help with the vine. I respectfully queried my Sunday gentleman visitor on his pruning experience ( he is probably about the age of my dad, somewhere in his 80's) So, he gives me this 'look', as you might imagine. You know  that look, the  'what do you mean do I know what I am doing?' look.  Well still; I had to ask about his pruning knowledge.

We worked it all out and this kind couple Mr. Bob and his dear wife, came back later to care for the vine. He did a  splendid job! He took all (well most) of the laterals down to their hands (the shortened lateral looks like a hand after several years of pruning).  All I had left to do was hoist the bag to the clean green container.


It 'pays' to go to the Arboretum on my off days. I never know what I am going to find there. Somedays I might find a sweet 'Sunday Volunteer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment